Aircel tops the list of fine imposed by TRAI on mobile operators for not meeting the minimum requirement of quality of service. RCOM is just behind the Aircel and is the 2nd highest in at the 2nd spot in the list. TRAI has imposed a fine of Rs.9,50000 on Aircel, 9,00,000 on Reliance Communications (Rcom) and Reliance Telecom (RTL), Rs.4,00,000 on Vodafone India, Tata Docomo and BSNL each, Rs.2,50,000 on Idea Cellular, Rs.2,00,000 on Uninor and Rs.1,50,000 on Airtel, for not meeting the quintessential consumer parameters prescribed in the Quality of Service (QoS) Regulations, as per Performance Reports provided. There are 10 parameters assigned by TRAI to measure their performances. As per the rule, the operator have to pay an amount of 10 lakhs(1 million), if the service is not as per the prescribed parameters.
Service Providers Fine Imposed
Aircel Rs 9,50,000
Reliance(Rcom & RTL) Rs 9,00,000
BSNL Rs 4,00,000
Tata Rs 4,00,000
Vodafone Rs 4,00,000
Idea Rs 2,50,000
Uninor Rs 2,00,000
Airtel Rs 1,50,000
But, TRAI have also mentioned into their report that wireless services providers are now providing better service in terms of following parameters :
- Base Transmitter Stations (BTSs – Mobile Tower) accumulated downtime (not available for service) .
- Worst affected BTSs (Mobile Tower) due to downtime.
- Worst affected cells having more than 3% call drop rate.
- Metering and billing credibility – postpaid service.
- Metering and billing credibility – prepaid service.
- Period of applying credit/ waiver/ adjustment to customer’s account from the date of resolution of complaints.
- requests for Termination / Closure of service entertained within 7 days.
- Time taken for refund of deposits after closures of services.